The government has announced that it is providing additional funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013 to 2014 and 2014 to 2015 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport - will be allocated to primary school head teachers. The money must be used to improve the provision of P.E. and school sport.
P.E. and school sport play a very important part in the life of Mulgrave. We believe that P.E. and school sport contribute to the holistic development of our children and through participation, our children build and learn more about our key values such as respect, co-operation and kindness for themselves and others.
We are therefore delighted to be able to use the sports premium to support the development of PE and school sport in the following ways;
- Fund new sports equipment where needed
- To increase participation levels in inter/intra competitive sport and healthy activity of pupils, and maintain these into adolescence
- School understands and values the benefits of high quality PE and sport, including its use as tool for whole school improvement
- Our overall aim is to raise standards in P.E. and school sport, increasing the participation and opportunities offered to our children. We aim to provide higher quality lessons and improved learning for all
- Enable all classes now access 2 hours of quality PE every week
- Children are taking part in extra curricular sports clubs, with 8 different sports clubs taking place every week.
- Provide quality assured professional development opportunities for teachers, enabling quality teaching and learning for all children
Here is some feedback on sports at Mulgrave from the pupils
- ‘I enjoy running, hopping and doing games in PE. I have learned to have different strategies to move around in a space. (3 Oak)
- ‘We have learned the rules of rounders and how to swim. I enjoy that we can do physical activiites instead of always being inside. We can go outside and get fresh air.’ (5 Olive)
- ‘I like all the running and learning about sports. We have learned rugby passes, over hand passes, chest and bounce passes.’ (4 Acer class)