School Based Local Offer




Type of school


Specialist provision on site

No separate special provision




All Greenwich maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs/ and or Disabilities, and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s and or Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.


This should be looked at together with:

1) The Royal Borough of Greenwich Local Offer for children and young people with SEND, which can be accessed here

2) The school SEND Policy

3) The school PSHE Policy

4) The school anti bullying policy

5) The school accessibility plan

6) The school pupil premium policy:



All Royal Greenwich Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress and achieve their potential in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.


Definition of Special Educational Needs and Disability.

The Code of Practice (2014) states that a child or young person has a special educational need or disability if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

Ø  Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or

Ø  Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools


What kinds of special educational needs might the children at Mulgrave Primary School have?

Special educational needs and provision can be considered as falling under four broad areas:

Ø  Communication and interaction

Ø  Cognition and learning

Ø  Emotional, Social and Mental Health Needs (previously behavioural, social and emotional difficulties)

Ø  Sensory and/or physical disability



Communication and interaction

Children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others. This may be because they have difficulty saying what they want to, understanding what is being said to them or they do not understand or use social rules of communication. The profile for every child with SLCN is different and their needs may change over time. They may have difficulty with one, some or all of the different aspects of speech, language or social communication at different times of their lives.

Children and young people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, including Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism, are likely to have particular difficulties with social interaction. They may also experience difficulties with language, communication, social interaction and imagination, which can impact on how they relate to others.



Cognition and learning

Support for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD), severe learning difficulties (SLD), where children are likely to need support in all areas of the curriculum and associated difficulties with mobility and communication, through to profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), where children are likely to have severe and complex learning difficulties as well as a physical disability or sensory impairment.

Specific learning difficulties (SpLD), affect one or more specific aspects of learning. This encompasses a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia.


Social, emotional and mental health difficulties

Children and young people may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which manifest themselves in many ways. These may include becoming withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour. These behaviours may reflect underlying mental health difficulties such as anxiety or depression, self-harming, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically unexplained. Other children and young people may have disorders such as attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder or attachment disorder.


Sensory and/or physical needs

Some children and young people require special educational provision because they have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of the educational facilities generally provided. These difficulties can be age related and may fluctuate over time. Many children and young people with vision impairment (VI), hearing impairment (HI) or a multi-sensory impairment (MSI) will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning. Children and young people with an MSI have a combination of vision and hearing difficulties, which makes it even more difficult for them to access the curriculum or study programme than for those with a single sensory impairment.

Some children and young people with a physical disability (PD) require additional ongoing support and equipment to access all the opportunities available to their peers.


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ special educational need or disability (SEND)?


There are several staff you can talk to at Mulgrave Primary School, regarding your child’s learning or SEND. If you are unsure who to approach, please have an initial chat with your child’s teacher.


You can talk to the Class Teacher.


Responsible for:

Ø  Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) know as necessary

Ø  Writing Individual Learning Plans (ILPs), containing targets that your child will focus on and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term

Ø  Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND

Ø  Overseeing support that TAs provide for your child

Ø  Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child's learning


You can talk to either the Head of Inclusion Sue Gardner or the Inclusion coordinator Jayne Taylor.


Responsible for:


Ø  Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy

Ø  Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)

Ø  Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible

Ø  Ensuring that you are:

o   involved in supporting your child’s learning,

o   you are kept informed about the support your child is getting

o   involved in reviewing how they are doing

Ø  Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, ASD outreach

Ø  Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.


Parents are welcome to approach the school in person, initially via our friendly Office staff. Alternatively, you can make contact with us by telephone:

Telephone: 0208 317 9211


How are children with Special Educational Needs identified and assessed?

At Mulgrave Primary School, children are identified as having SEND through a variety of ways including the following:

Ø  Liaison with the previous educational setting

Ø  Tracking information – is the child performing below age expected levels?

Ø  School based assessments carried out initially by the class teacher

Ø  Further school based assessments carried out by the SENDCo or an external agency

Ø  Concerns raised by parents

Ø  Concern raised by school staff

Ø  Concern raised by the pupil

Ø  Liaison with external agencies

Ø  Health diagnosis


What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?


Class teacher input, through targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

Ø  That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

Ø  That all teaching builds on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

Ø  That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

Ø  That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the Inclusion Team) are in place to support your child to learn.

Ø   Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


Specific group work

Intervention programmes which may be:

Ø  Run in the classroom or a group room/ area.

Ø  Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

An example of interventions run at Mulgrave are:

STEPS Wave 3 English and Maths, Handwriting, Fine motor skills and Social communication groups.


Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

This means a pupil has been identified by the Inclusion Team/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

Ø  Health services such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists or physiotherapists

Ø  Sensory support services such hearing or visual impairment specialist teachers

Ø  Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service, ASD Outreach


What could happen?

Ø  You could be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help you and the school to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

Ø  If appropriate, the specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.


Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.


This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school, which may include any agency that is listed above.

For your child this would mean:

Ø  The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment or Education, Health and Care assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

Ø  After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.

Ø  After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

Ø  The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the amount of funding the school will receive from the LA to support your child. It will also outline how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.

Ø  An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child. Other resources may also be secured through this funding but this is a collaborative decision involving education or health care professionals and yourself.


How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially. If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Inclusion Team.



How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s progress in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

Ø  Listen to any concerns you may have.

Ø  Plan any additional support your child may need.

Ø  Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.


How is extra support allocated to children, and how do they progress in their learning?

The school budget, received from Royal Borough of Greenwich, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

Ø  The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.

Ø  The school identifies the needs of SEN pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.


Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in our school?

School provision

Ø  Teaching Assistants working with either individual children or small groups within the class setting.

Ø  Speech and Language Teaching Assistants working with either 1:1 or small groups

Ø  Higher Level Teaching Assistant working with children with a diagnosis of Autism




Local Authority Provision delivered in school

Ø  Educational Psychology Service

Ø  Sensory support for children with visual or hearing needs

Ø  SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

Ø  Behaviour support service

Ø  ASD Outreach

Ø  Parent partnership




Health Provision delivered in school

Ø  Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school

Ø  School Nurse

Ø  Occupational Therapy

Ø  Physiotherapy

Ø  CAMHs (Child and Adolescent Mental Health)

Ø  Paediatricians (Community Child Health)


How are teachers in the school helped to work with children with SEND, and what training do members of staff have?

The Head of Inclusion role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

Ø  The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues, such as Specific Learning Difficulties, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and speech and language difficulties.


Ø  Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.


Ø  Teaching Assistants receive a range of training as part of their ongoing CPD and to respond to the needs of the individual children they are working with. Many members of staff have basic training in Autistic Spectrums Disorder, Speech and Language or Specific Learning Difficulties, which is a common area of SEND in our school. Other training includes making and using symbol resource systems to encourage independent learning, social stories, supporting transition and social skills.


Ø  Some staff members are trained specifically in positive handling techniques where appropriate.



How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class teachers plan lessons and differentiate their planning according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class (including using P Scales, Pivats, for children working below National Curriculum Level) and will ensure that your child’s needs are met. Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups. Planning (including that for P Scales and for specific intervention programmes) and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.

Resources to gain pupil voice are also adapted, so that children are able to communicate about their own learning and be part of the decision-making process when it comes to setting themselves new targets.


How will we measure the progress of your child in school?


Ø  Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.


Ø  Their progress will be reviewed formally with members of the senior leadership team every term in Reading, Writing and Maths, through pupil progress meetings.


Ø  If your child is in Year 1or above and working below National Curriculum Level, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used called, Pivats which shows children’s attainment in more detail, breaking learning down into smaller steps.


Ø  At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.


Ø  Where necessary, children will have an additional support plan based on targets agreed by teachers, parents, the SENDCo and/or external agencies which are specific to their needs. Targets will be designed to accelerate learning and close the gap.


Ø  Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.


Ø  The progress of children with a Statement of SEND/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.


Ø  The Head of Inclusion/SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.


Ø  Regular book looks and lesson observations will be carried out by members of the senior leadership team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.


What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.


Ø  The Inclusion team are also available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.


Ø  If your child has an EHC Plan, a home-school contact book will also be used to support communication with you.


Ø  All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.


Ø  The Parent Partnership Service is available to give further impartial advice and support should you need it.


How is Mulgrave Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

The school is fully compliant with Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) requirements.


Ø  The school is on two levels, with a lifts that provide access and double doors where appropriate.


Ø  The front desk has is wheel-chair height. There is a disabled toilet and hygiene suite.


Ø  We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.


Ø  Breakfast club and extra-curricular activities are accessible to all children, including those with SEND.


Ø  A quiet area is provided for children who need a space to support their emotional needs.


How will we support your child’s emotional and social development?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and struggling to communicate effectively.

All classes follow a structured PSHCE (Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer, Social communication skills group for children to learn how to co-operate with one another in a small group, to develop emotional language and the skills needed to initiate friendships and interact socially with their peers.


How will we support your child when they are joining the school, leaving the school or moving to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.


If your child is joining us from another school

Ø  The allocated Teacher will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate and attend annual reviews for pre-school children

Ø  If your child would be helped by a social story to support them in understanding the transition, one will be made for them with information about their current placement and their new school

Ø  Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a ‘play date

Ø  Parents will be invited to attend an information evening

Ø  You may be given an opportunity for additional visits where appropriate to help to prepare your child for their move to the school


If your child is moving to another school

Ø  We will contact the school’s SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENDCo from the new school

Ø  We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible

Ø  We attend various transition meetings to discuss your child’s needs.

Ø  If your child would be helped by a transition book to support them in understand moving on, one will be made for them

Ø  Transition meetings held for all children with an EHCP.


When moving classes in school


Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.


Ø  ILP s will be shared with the new teacher

Ø  If your child would be helped by a social story to support them in understand moving on, one will be made for them

Ø  Your child may participate in a transition group or be able to visit the new class more frequently where appropriate, to prepare them for the move


In Year 6


Ø  The Inclusion Team and class teacher will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of the child’s secondary school. Where appropriate, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place.

Ø  If your child has an EHC Plan, we will invite the SENDCo of your child’s new school to the Year 6 Annual Review meeting

Ø  Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead

Ø  Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school

Ø  If your child would be helped by a book to support them in understand moving on, one will be made for them

Ø  A transition meeting is held for vulnerable children to ensure a smooth transition and all information passed on to new school.


Complaints Procedure

Pupils, staff and parents are expected to listen carefully and respectfully to each other. Where an issue arises, parents should, in the first instance, make an appointment to speak with their child’s class teacher or Phase Leader and seek to resolve any concerns. If a parent believes that their concern has not been resolved to their satisfaction or is of a more serious or sensitive nature, an appointment should be made to see the Headteacher, who will investigate and report back on the results of the investigation. Where an issue is not satisfactorily resolved, parents should then take up the matter with the Chair of Governors. A copy of the school’s Complaints Procedure is available on request from the school.